Ashley D. Holbert Swestyn, M.S. Ed
Ashley has 11 years of experience in the field of special education. She holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Waynesburg University in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania. She graduated from Drexel University with a Master of Science Degree in Special Education which focused on Autism Spectrum Disorders and the collaborative laws and processes of special education. Her graduate action research project focused in supports for Elementary students on the autism spectrum and prompting. She has experience as a self-contained special education teacher in the secondary setting and currently acts as a consultant as well. Most of her experience has been teaching Secondary Access English and Reading. She has prior experience as an advocate in a separate role. Her experience also comes from having family members with exceptional needs that require a different approach from the usual.
MS, Special Education, Drexel University, Philadelphia PA, Spring 2016- 4.0- Autism Spectrum Disorders and Collaborative Laws and Processes of Special Education- Research Project on paired prompting vs. verbal prompting for elementary children with autism.
BA, Elementary/Special Education, Waynesburg University, Waynesburg PA, Spring 2011- 3.75 Magna Cum Laude
- High School Self-Contained Special Education Teacher- 2020 to 2023
- Middle School Self-Contained Special Education Teacher- 2016-2020
- Intervention Representative- 2016
- Educational Advocate- 2014-2016
- Substitute Teacher (Emotional Behavior, Autism Support, Learning Support)- 2011-2014
- Student Teaching- Elementary, Elementary Special Education, and Secondary Special Education- 2010-2011
- Exceptional Student Education K-12- Florida
- Elementary Education K-6- Florida
- Autism Endorsement- Florida
- Reading Endorsement- Florida
- ESOL Endorsement- Florida
- Elementary K-6- Pennsylvania
- Special Education- Pennsylvania
- Autism Endorsement- Pennsylvania
- Autism PK-Adult- West Virginia
- Elementary K-6- West Virginia
- Multi-Categorical K-Adult- West Virginia
- Preschool Special Needs- West Virginia
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Deans List- Waynesburg University
- Michel Miller Award of Excellence in Special Education- Drexel University School of Education- June 2016.
- Drexel Dragon of the Month- January 2017- https://www.online.drexel.edu/news/digital-dragon.aspx/dragon-of-the-month-ashley-swestyn
- Kappa Delta Pi
- Council for Exceptional Children- Reviews call for Proposals for their national annual conference- 2016-Present.
- Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates- 2022
Get in touch